This recipe serves 6-8.
What you will need: A 9-inch pie dish, a whisk, a grater and a large bowl.
For the Crust:
200g / 2 Cups Crushed Digestives (or Graham Crackers)
2 Tablespoons Ground Ginger
45g / ¼ Cups Caster/Granulated Sugar
135g / ⅝ Cup Butter (Melted)
For the Lime Filling:
4 Large Egg Yolks
400ml / 1 ¾ Cups Condensed Milk
6 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
2 Tablespoons Lime Zest (Grated)
Lime Jelly (Jell-o) (Use a halal kind)
120ml / ½ Cup Double Cream
2 Tablespoons Icing/Confectioners Sugar
5 Quarter-Lime Slices
Making the Key Lime Pie:
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F and place a baking tray inside. Grease and line a pie dish and set aside.
- In a bowl combine the crushed digestives, ginger, sugar and butter then press evenly into the prepared pie dish. Place the pie dish in the oven on top of the preheated baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes. Once cooked remove and set aside to cool.
- In a clean bowl whisk the egg yolks until pale and fluffy and gradually add the condensed milk. Pour in the lime juice and add the lime zest, mix well then pour the mixture into the cooled pie base.
- Place the pie back into the oven (still at 175C/350F) for about 15 minutes or until the mixture has set. Once cooked remove the pie and allow to cool before placing in the fridge to chill for at least 4 hours.
- Prepare the lime jelly (Jell-o) as per the packet instructions. Allow the jelly mixture to cool significantly, once lukewarm remove the chilled pie from the fridge and carefully pour a small amount of the jelly liquid over (just enough to cover the pie filling) then return to the fridge until the jelly has set.